Last Updated on
What kind of strategies do you have to reduce your expenses? Do you physically or digitally clip coupons? Wait for sales? Look for close-outs or clearances? Those are all good, but have you taken advantage of any cash back apps? If not, then you really need to give them a try and make every purchase a rewarding one — literally.
Why should you use cash backs apps? Because incorporating them into your daily routine will help you incrementally build up rewards. Sometimes this is cash sent to you via a payment service like PayPal or Venmo, and other times it is in the form of gift cards.
With cash back apps, enjoy racking up the dough with purchases you make anyway
Here at the Budgeting Couple, we want you to be frugal, and you know by now that does not mean being cheap. It means budgeting your money, spending it wisely, and letting it work for you. Below we have identified a number of rewards apps that we hope will benefit you, whether in the form of cash in an account or with a gift card in your pocket (or smartphone). We break the apps into three groups: Best cash back apps; Cash back apps for shopping; and Cash back apps for receipts. Here is a list of the apps we explore:
Best Cash Back Apps
Best Apps For Cash
1. Ibotta ($20 Bonus)
What would you do right now if somebody walked up to you and said, “Here is $150 to do whatever you want. You did a great job shopping this year, and I just wanted to say thanks.” Think you might finally go out for dinner at the place you always wanted to try but didn’t feel like forking out the cash?
Well, Ibotta — an app that will pay you cash for shopping and give you a $20 welcome bonus when you sign up through us — is not going to walk up to you, but it does reward the average person who uses the app with about $150 a year in cash back (according to the company).
Ibotta will either transfer your rewards to your PayPal or Venmo account or send you a gift card: It’s your choice. You will earn cash and rewards simply by shopping and purchasing items you normally would — or trying others you always wanted to, except now you have a reason with those cash back incentives.
Here are some quick tips on using Ibotta:
- Download the app
- Link your loyalty cards from Ibotta’s preferred partners
- Think of Ibotta as you would coupons: Select your items before you shop, just like you would clip a coupon before heading to the store
- When you use the “Pay with Ibotta” option, you don’t have to scan your receipts
- After purchasing eligible items, there are three ways to receive your rewards, and one is to scan the full receipt or a QR code on the receipt. If you have linked your loyalty card or paid with Ibotta, you are good to go; it’s done automatically.
We have written a lot about this app. If you are asking is Ibotta legit, the short answer is yes! We write about it because it is such a versatile and rewarding app. How much does it cost? It is free. What are you waiting for?
p.s. You will want to check out the offers below to discover how you can maximize your rewards and cash back bonuses (one offers a $10 incentive). You will also learn how you can — and should — stack these deals like coupons to maximize your rewards and cash back.
Don’t you hate it when you spend time researching the best deal for a pair of shoes, a hat, a camera, a television, a computer, a gaming system, or whatever … only to find out the “lowest price ever” just went even lower right after you snagged it? If given the chance, would you want the difference between the price you paid and the new lower price be sent to you automatically — without having to trade endless emails with customer support online?
If you answered yes, and you know you did, then you will definitely want to sign up for Paribus.
Paribus is an app that monitors your email account for online purchases. When it finds items at a lower price, it lets you know and works to get you the money back. Paribus uses software with proprietary logic so it is only checking emails that appear to be purchase confirmations or transactions — the rest of your emails remain untouched and unopened.
Some quick thoughts about Paribus:
- Remember, it is for online shopping
- It monitors nearly 30 major retailers, including Amazon, Target, Walmart, Nordstrom, Macy’s and Gap
- If your Amazon Prime delivery is going to be late, it will alert you so you can work with Amazon to get a credit
- It will send you a message if your return window is closing (different retailers have different return policies)
- It looks for price drops
- Your cash back from this app will be in the form of how you paid for your merchandise: It will either be returned to your credit card or debit card
- The beauty of this is, Paribus does the work for you — get some rest
We like that Paribus is a Capital One entity, so you know it is well funded and very secure. Still on the fence? Maybe this will get you motivated: Paribus has discovered more than $29 million in potential savings for its users. This one will not set you back one red cent; it is free.
*Paribus compensates us when you sign up for Paribus using the links provided.
3. Dosh ($1 Bonus)
The Dosh App knows the way to our hearts. Jump on its website and you will see why. It says: “Cash back, automatically. It’s not points. It’s not coupons. Just cold, hard cash.” You in from some?
When you connect your credit or debit cards to Dosh’s app, you will start earning cash back rewards every time you make purchases at the thousands of affiliated stores, restaurants, and online companies. It is that simple. It is free money. It is automatic. As one person called it, “it is a no-brainer.”
You want to be vigilant when it comes to your credit cards and cyber security. Dosh has bank-level security that utilizes multi- and two-factor authentication and SSL encryption. We have written about how safe Dosh is, please check out the article.
So download the free app, join the Dosh movement, claim your $1 bonus, then do what you normally do and let the money start building and rolling in. You did read Dosh works automatically, right?
Here are some recent rewards offered via Dosh:
- Walmart – 3% Cash Back
- Target – 1.5% Cash Back
- Walgreens – 6% Cash Back
- Exxon Mobile – 2% Cash Back
- Guess – 5% Cash Back
- Patagonia – 6% Cash Back
- Bed Bath & Beyond – 7% Cash Back
- Jiffy Lube – 10% Cash Back
As you can see, there is a lot to love about Dosh.
Dosh is like Paribus, so make sure you download the Dosh app now before your make your next online purchase so you can automatically get money back for shopping.
4. Fetch Rewards
You might care where you shop, but Fetch Rewards does not. And, for that, you should care because Fetch Rewards will give you free money for shopping anywhere. All you have to do is take a photo of your receipt on your phone, and the app (iOS or Android) will “fetch” your reward points. You will get “cash rewards” when you redeem your points for gift cards.
Fetch works with thousands of brands, and you will earn points in a number of ways. The quickest way to earn points, which you will soon turn into cash, is to look for the special offers. Watch how fast your point total rises with these special reward opportunities. Another way is to buy the brands you love that have a relationship with Fetch, no sense leaving “money on the table.”
What is nice about Fetch is that if you shop at a store that doesn’t offer a lot of national brands, you will likely still earn some points. Snap that receipt, wait a few seconds and see what happens. You might be surprised. Have any family and friends? Refer them and earn some more points.
Fetch is like Ibotta, so double up and scan your receipts in both apps to earn twice the rewards. Once you get the groceries put away, scan those receipts so you can collect enough points to get a gift card. Reach 3,000 points, and you can claim your first $3 gift card or prepaid Visa card. This is free money, so get it while you can.
5. Checkout 51
Do not confuse this cash back app with Area 51. Checkout 51’s savings might be out of this world, but it has nothing to do with alien or UFO research. Let’s do some research on our own:
Like Ibotta, Checkout 51 offers rewards for purchases at your local grocery store. It is a little bit different in that each Thursday it posts new offers, which are live for one week or until a certain number of items have been sold. The offers have limited quantities. Hmmm, so where do the offers go? Do they vanish in thin air? in the cloud? Let’s explore this further.
In a nutshell, here is how Checkout 51 works:
- When you sign up, it will ask your gender in order to better customize offers for you
- You will be asked how many adults and children you are shopping for (please count husbands as adults)
- It will ask for your birthday (both date and year)
- You will see your offers, and just tap the plus sign (+) to add it
- Because quantities are limited, you will want to double-check that the offer is still valid while you shop
- When you checkout, keep your receipt
- After purchasing the eligible items, hit redeem to take a photo of your receipt in the app (or upload a photo of the recent via the website)
- When you reach $20 in cash back rewards, you can ask for a check to be sent to you or have the money transferred to your PayPal account
When you use the app, check out the bonuses. For example, Checkout 51’s offering recently included:
- Graham crackers ($1 cash back)
- Marshmallows (25 cents cash back)
- Chocolate candy bars ($1 cash back when purchasing two multi-bar packs).
However, if you purchased all three of them, Checkout 51 gave you a S’mores bonus, which was an additional $1 cash back for a total of $3.25. So, you are well on your way to that $20 threshold.
And as an added bonus, unless expressly prohibited, you can multiply your rewards from a single shopping trip by getting rewards from Ibotta and Checkout 51.