Did you get a dreaded call from your boss saying, “We’re sorry, but we have to furloughed you until business gets better.” Here’s what to do next.
Do This Immediately After Being Laid Off to Keep Cash Coming
After being laid off, get online and file for unemployment benefits through the appropriate state agency. Do this as soon as possible to minimize the disruption of money coming in.
Is Your Next Pay Day Under Your Nose?
When you find yourself without a job and without steady income, take a breath and take an inventory of what you have that could make you some serious cash. Capitalize on your skills. Post on Facebook about what kind of work you can do. Maybe you can do work around someone’s home; mow laws; sew/mend clothes; make arts and crafts and sell them on Etsy. You got this.
Turn a Side Hustle Into Your Main Hustle
The gig economy pays well! Stay proactive and keep looking for opportunities to make money. Who knows, maybe you’ll find something you really enjoy.
Deliver groceries: Since COVID-19, grocery-delivery has been in high demand. High risk people need to stay home and therefore need groceries dropped off at their door. Drive for Instacart, deliver groceries, and keep the cash rolling in.
Teach from your computer: VIPKid hires people like you to teach English to children in China, and you can earn up to $22 an hour. The lessons are via video, so make money from the comfort of your home! If you have a Bachelor’s degree, apply to teach for VIPKid here.
- Here’s our other top picks for high-paid side jobs: How to Make $200 in One Day Fast
Take Your Phone Out of Your Pocket and Turn it into Cash with Online Surveys
Successful companies invest in market research to better understand their consumers. So, they survey people to find out what they like, what they hate, and what they think. Get paid for what you think with these online surveys:
- MySoapBox: Get on your soapbox with MySoapBox and provide feedback on the things you use and buy, and earn some money. Join MySoapBox, participate in surveys, and earn about 750 to 1,000 points per survey (1,000 points=$1).
- Opinion Outpost: This firm has been around for a while, and it will pay out when you earn as a little as a few bucks. Sign up for Opinion Outpost, and you can earn gift cards for your opinions or get the cash via PaPal.
- Survey Junkie: This site does a great job vetting surveys for you to improve your chances of qualifying for one. Sign up for a survey and turn your opinions into dollars (cash out when you reach $10/1,000 points).
- PineCone Research: Get a firsthand look at new products with PineCone Research, depending on what you qualify for. Get paid $3 to $6 per survey when you sign up for PineCone Research.
- SurveyClub: Participants give SurveyClub 4.2 stars on TrustPilot with 87% saying it is excellent or great. Sign up for SurveyClub and get connected to companies conducting online surveys, focus groups, clinical trials and more so you can get paid.
- Vindale Research ($1 Welcome Bonus): This is one of the highest-paying survey sites (with some up to $50). Sign up for Vindale Research, get a $1 bonus to get started, then snag another $5 after you snap a pic of you holding your first Vindale check.
- InboxDollars ($5 Welcome Bonus): users of InboxDollars have made more than $57 million taking surveys, watching online videos, searching the web, and playing online games. Earn your share of InboxDollars — starting with a $5 welcome bonus — when you sign up for a free account and participate.
- Respondent.io: This is a fun online focus group because you can earn cash for testing out new gadgets and toys. Sign up for your Respondent.io account and look to earn $50 to $100 from companies like Disney, Dell, Microsoft, Kraft, P&G and more.
- Want more easy ways to make money fast? Check out our full guide to making $100+/day!
Preserve Your Funds for a Financial Safety Net
Don’t forget to preserve the cash you have. Try to spend less than normal to keep some money squirreled away. Here are a few tips to save money on your average, day-to-day spending
- Ibotta ($20 Welcome Bonus): Earn cash back on groceries
- Dosh: Cash back on your debit card
- CoinOut: Scan your receipt and earn cash back
- Trim: A company that negotiates lower internet bills
- Rakuten ($10 Welcome Bonus): Cash back on Amazon
- Wikibuy: Coupon Codes for Amazon
You are in a new world now. Stay proactive and keep looking for money making opportunities, and protect the money you have now. You will find a way to get cash flowing again.
Make More Money! Read these next…
- 27 High-Paying Jobs You Can do Part-Time
- 12 Best Apps that Pay You Money
- 21 Easy Ways to Collect Free Money Today
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest for more easy money making ideas!
*Wikibuy compensates us when you sign up for Wikibuy using the links we provided*
No Money in the Bank?
If you struggle to save money, it’s because you don’t know how to do it. Start growing your wealth every month with our 6-Day Free Workshop.