Last Updated on
Starting our married lives together as jobless students didn’t sound too glamorous, especially when it was possibly going to affect our food options.
Since we weren’t going to have an income for at least 9 months, my expectations were set extremely low for the food we would
be able to afford.
Now, I was willing to give up eating out, but there was no way I was going to cut out healthy food options from the grocery store.
I did not want to dine on Cup Noodles and TV dinners every night, but because of Evan’s awesome budget, we didn’t have to!
Amazingly enough, we were able to buy TONS of healthy and nutritious options!
What helped tremendously with our healthy eating was creating SUPER budget friendly recipes so our “food money” could be stretched as far as possible each month (because we are ALWAYS hungry).
Related Money Saving Articles:
- 25 Cheap Keto Meal Ideas
- How to Save Money on Groceries (every time)
- Best Frugal Living Tips for 2020
One of our absolute favorite recipes has been this Spicy Roasted Broccoli!
Evan’s not the biggest vegetable fan, and would only eat steamed broccoli every now and then just because it was healthy. After discovering how brilliant broccoli can be with this recipe, both of us hate going a night without it!
I’m not kidding, we could eat this broccoli, Every. Single. Day…(and we almost do).
It’s THAT GOOD. It tastes SO indulgent, but is unbelievably easy to make, healthy, and cheap!! (Everything we look for in a recipe).
Just a fair warning, this broccoli recipe is SPICY! If you prefer more of a mild heat, I would suggest a mild or medium chili powder.
The measurements in this recipe are just a guideline.
We don’t measure out the spices, just generously pour them on (I’ve included a picture of how ours looks >) but we have put some “general” measurements to help make it a little easier.
Spicy Roasted Broccoli (Highly Addictive)
This broccoli is unbelievably tasty yet SO simple and budget-friendly to make! Best eaten right out of the oven, still delicious microwaved the next day.
- 330 grams of broccoli (after broken up)/ 3 medium heads of broccoli
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of hot chili powder (see notes)
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt (adjust to your taste)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Cover large baking sheet with tin foil (for easier clean up)
- Break apart broccoli into small florets (smaller than normal for a crispier finish, see pictures) and place on baking sheet
- Drizzle olive oil evenly, then use hands to toss (Or do this step in a bowl)
- Spread broccoli out evenly
- Sprinkle on chili powder, garlic powder, and salt to desired taste.
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Bake for 5-7 more minutes. We usually take it out after the edges of the broccoli look crispy and brown.
- Get enough broccoli to cover the entire baking tray. It looks like a lot, but the broccoli shrinks while roasting.
- We use hot chili powder, but if you prefer a mild or medium spice, you can easily substitute this for regular chili powder.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 16gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 8gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
There you have it! An easy 20 minute, healthy, and cheap meal that tastes amazing! Let us know down below if you try it out!
P.S. Follow along on our Pinterest account for more healthy budget meals and money saving tips
Want to save this recipe for later? Bookmark this page or click here to pin it now.
Want more Healthy (and cheap) food and drink ideas?
- Starbucks Medicine Ball Copycat (immune boosting)
- Best Budget Keto Grocery Staples to Stock Up On
- Keto Chorizo With Cauliflower Hash: Hearty Healthy Breakfast
Or, need some easy ways to save extra money?
- 42 Hacks to Live on One Income & Never Be Poor
- 12 Best Cash Back Apps
- The Browser Extension that Finds Every Coupon Available (our fav)
A budgeting fanatic and a frugal living lover! We want to share our budgeting techniques because of how much they have improved every aspect of our life! We teach the ultimate way to budget so you can save tons of money, eliminate debt fast, and achieve guilt-free spending!